Monday, December 7, 2009

Where is your heart?

I thought that after the As ended, my life would be more "worry-free" and I would have less things to be concerned over. Haha I'm so wrong. Because after As my worry then shifted to how I was going to spend the next 4 months before enlisting.

I narrowed it to 2 options: one is to go teach my juniors art, and the second one is to join Trackers, which is a youth bible-study and mission trip programme by TRAC. I have been praying about it, and asking God to reveal to me His plan and purpose for the next 4 months of my life. I always believe nothing happens by chance, and I'm enlisting in april for a reason and I've been asking Him to show me the reason why.

For quite a while I felt that there was no answer. But I think today God finally answered me, through the Purpose Driven devotionals, but not directly. He pointed me to Matthew 6:21, which says "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." This wasn't the first time I've read this verse, but somehow it impressed upon me differently today. To quote from the devotional, this verse means that wherever we put our time, money and effort to, that's what's going to attract us. If we invest ourselves whole-heartedly into something, then that's where our heart and treasure will be.

For some of us, our heart may be in money, or in our outward appearance, or in our work. For me, I know that my heart is in photography, simply because I spend so much time and energy in it. And wherever my treasure will be, my heart will be there. If my treasure is my camera and photos, then my heart will be there. Likewise, if our treasure is money, then our heart will be with our worldly riches.

And that's where I thought... I want my heart to not just be in photography, but more importantly with God. I want to seek Him more, because the more time I spend knowing Him, there my treasure will be. Matthew 6:19-20 also says not to store up treasures on earth, but to store up treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. And so I decided that I would go do trackers, because it is the opportunity for me to align my heart with the Lord and build up heavenly riches. After all, I can always do teaching in future if I really wanted.

Where is your heart at today? What is precious to you? For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments: