Sunday, January 3, 2010

Being a homesick Christian

Over the past months I've been listening to more CCM (Christian contemporary music), and this song really got me thinking.



You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for You
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with You

I close my eyes and I see Your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't You give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand Your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if You showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

I close my eyes and I see Your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't You give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

In Christ, there are no goodbyes
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again

And I close my eyes and I see Your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't You give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't You give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't You give me strength to make it through somehow

I've never been more homesick than now


-----------------------------------------------

You know the lyrics to this song are so deep and meaningful, and it really spoke to me. It took a few listens to really get what it meant, but if you were to read carefully, the term 'homesick' here is actually referring not to any physical home on earth, but our spiritual home in heaven.

Thus this song is all about longing to be with God in heaven, and spending eternity with Him. Our stay on earth is temporal, and our ultimate home is actually somewhere invisible in heaven. You know, a home is a place where you are accepted for who you are, where you feel belonged and loved. And heaven is exactly about all these, and so much more. It is a perfect place!

And as I pondered over the lyrics, it also occurred to me that we should be living our lives on earth as homesick Christians. We should live each day longing to be united with Christ in heaven. There should be a strong desire in our hearts to enter this eternal home.  We should be doing the things that will grant us entrance to home.  That to me, is what being a homesick Christian is about.

My prayer is that we will all become homesick Christians from 2010 till we meet Him.

Hope you enjoyed the song!

No comments: