Friday, May 28, 2010

About God-sized dreams

Touchdown
Image copyright Ian Ho 2010

We all have dreams. We all have hopes, aspirations, goals to achieve in life, be it short-term or long-term. But how many of us actually have a God-sized dream?

I'm not referring to any kind of dream, but a dream which is planted by God in our lives which motivates us to impact our friends, our community and the world for Christ. The kinda dream which gives our existence meaning, purpose and fulfillment. This year thus far has been about discovering my identity in Christ, what God's plan is for my life and basically what my God-sized dream is.

I've learn a couple of things in the process.

1) A God-sized dream is a BIG BIG dream! It may take your entire lifetime to accomplish! I've ever wondered at times if it was my dream or a dream from God. I think the difference is that if it's from God, it will be so big in your life that you can't do it alone. You need God, other believers, and most importantly, faith.

2) Knowing your God-sized dream takes time, and lots of prayer. It wasn't easy for me, but I trusted that God had a great plan for my life which He would reveal in His timing. The thing about such dreams is that God will most likely not reveal everything to you at one go, simply because it would be too overwhelming to handle or comprehend! God showed me a bit, then a bit and a bit more of His dream one at a time, a bit like unwrapping parts of a present. I also learn that a God-sized dream will involve one's spiritual gifts.

3) God will not fulfill this dream immediately.

“These things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!" Habakkuk 2:3, LB


This was the hardest part of me to swallow - the waiting. After God revealed a bit of my dream, it seemed as if nothing happened and everything became quiet. But I've come to realise this delay is His way of building our faith even deeper. Noah had to wait a freaking 120 years from the time he started building the ark till the flood began, and Moses had to wait in the desert for 40 years, so likewise we have to wait too until God says the time is right.

4) Don't let your God-sized dream always remain a dream. As with anything in the Christian life, action (done in love) is what matters. For me this will mean letting go of my fears and insecurities, investing more time into ministry, spending more time with God and so forth. Realising this dream will involve many difficulties for sure, but then again that's where faith comes in to overcome them.

I believe that God has in mind a specific God-sized dream for each one of you. You could choose to obey it, or choose to ignore it and sail through life without making a difference for Christ. It's easy to go through the motion of life and live everyday just like yesterday, but it's much more fulfilling to chase and realise a God-sized dream!

No comments: