Sunday, June 27, 2010

There is a God

Images copyright Ian Ho 2009

Dug through my photo archives and came across these photos that I shot last year for school.. and as I asked myself what these photos meant to me, this song by 33miles came to mind:

There is a God; this is the proof
That all around the evidence is speaking the truth
From the center of my soul to the edge of the universe
Creation is crying out believe it or not
There is a God


You know, one of the many reasons why nature photography appeals to me so much is simply because I see God through creation. These nature photos mean more than just superficial beauty, or technical skill or composition... these images show me who God is, and how glorious and magnificent His creation is. The process of creating these shots is more than a technical exercise - it is my worship to God, a way of humbling myself and acknowledging the greatness of the Creator. No, nature photography to me is never about creation, but it's about the Creator manifesting his glory through creation.

"But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is!"
Romans 1:19 (MSG)

To me, observing creation is one of the simplest ways to know that God exists. When I look at the intricacies and variety in nature, of the flowers and leaves and insects and bugs, I know that someone MUST have created it. And that person must be God. The Bible says that the whole earth is full of the glory of God, and indeed creation bears witness to the Creator. Sometimes we try too hard to find God, when his sublime presence is all around us. All it takes is for us to open our eyes and there it is! The reality of God and His glory is plain enough for all of us to see. So to those who deny that God exists, I think that's just plain foolishness.

I believe it; I believe it
There is a God
I can feel it; I can feel it
There is a God
And the more I find the less I need to see
I've never been so sure, so sure of anything

No comments: