Thursday, January 1, 2009

A challenge for 2009

I approach 2009 knowing that it will not be easier a year than 2008. There will be the A-level exams, art coursework, my photog club, physical preparation for the army and so many things to worry about. But as I did my devotion today (and yesterday), I think God assured me, and gave me a challenge for this year.

Yesterday the Lord challenged me to exercise faith despite all the difficult circumstances that have yet to come this year, and to hope in him even when all seems gloomy. It will be difficult, but I know that it is in such times of adversity that all the more we should put our hope and trust in God. I want to challenge myself to be able to go to God and affirm that He is good, even when things appear the contrary. For doing that is exercising faith; the belief that God is in total control and everything happens for the good of His children. Let us all learn to be like Job in the Bible, who can say: "though he slay me, yet will I hope in him." (Job 3:15)

Today the Lord continued his message and told me the only place I can go when in doubt about God's goodness is the cross. This is because what His son did at calvary is the undeniable evidence of an everlasting love, and of sacrifice. As I read Romans 5 today, I am reminded that "God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

In 2009, I want to be able to put my faith in God alone and say that He is good, despite the worries and troubles that surround me. And when I ever doubt His goodness, let me look to the old rugged cross and be reminded of his perfect love. You should too.

No comments: