Thursday, July 8, 2010

Made for relationships

Relationships
Image copyright Ian Ho 2009

I've wanted to do a sort of reflection on BMT but never quite had the time till now. Block leave this week has been a blast thus far - Monday spent with section mates at Ubin, Tuesday with trackers, Wednesday with Photosoc and church... and finally today, with God alone at home.. Deliberately set aside time to catch up with big daddy and sit at His feet once again, and it feels awesome to do nothing but take it slow and recharge spiritually.

Of all the things that army has taken away from me, I have learnt one important lesson: that life is simply much easier lived with people walking by your side.

I know it sounds kinda stupid, but really I just can't imagine going through the past 2 months alone. It would simply be torturous. The 2 months was difficult, but I thank God for the people who supported me throughout BMT, the encouragement, prayers and SMSes made army life much easier knowing that I'm not alone. It's weird that being away from home 5 days a week actually drew me closer to my parents. I guess it's when you're away that you start to value the things that you miss: friends, family, freedom and even God.

We were all made for relationships, and I realised through army that walking along with someone else, and knowing that there's people upholding you should you fall, is just a much safer and wiser way to live. I see this truth illustrated during route marches. Route march is BORING, where we walk and walk for eternity with heavy field packs on our backs, but because we're doing it together as a platoon, its more bearable. If one person lags behind, there will be someone else to spur and push him on. We look out for each other, and ensure we finish the march together. And it's the same for the Christian life. I realised a community of Christian friends is so important, because we all need encouragement when we're down or going through a rough patch.

Ecclesiastes 4:10-12 best summaries this:
10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?

12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.


God made us for each other; He made us so that we could show Christian love to those around us... and now that I've completed BMT, I just thank God for all the people He has placed around me to support me and keep me going. Even those simple 'how r u?' SMSes mean a lot to me in camp. Just couldn't do it alone.

1 comment:

Lem said...

:) thanks for sharing ian. and relating mutual support in route marches to our christian walk.